Saturday, December 4, 2010

Hurry Up! Slow down!

It seems that lately I have been constantly reminded of how fast these times are flying by.  I remember when Leah was born and I had just stopped working and had nothing to do.  I fondly remember frequenting Nordstroms for shopping and lunch at least once a week, taking thousands of pictures of her every move and smile and watching tons of TV while she slept all day. I even sent out MONTHLY emails of her newest pictures. Chad and I couldn't wait for her to coo, sit up, crawl, walk, say whole words and on and on and on.  It seemed like we were waiting for all of her "firsts" and hurrying her along. 

When Olivia came along we were a little more relaxed and were excited  to see how and when she would do all of these things.  We knew what was coming and what to expect.  So when her milestones came around we were excited to see the differences in the two girls.  Life got a little more busy with the two and we even had to "rethink" what we thought was important.  We abandoned all of the pretention, and at times, just tried to survive! It was fun adjusting to our new family of 4 and we eventually got back to anticipating the future and what we were going to do next.

But now, each day brings a "not yet" moment with Gabe.  He is cooing, rolling over, eating solids, has two teeth and is now up on his hands and knees ready to crawl.  And all I can think is "not yet, slow down."  Every night I put him to bed I can't help but think that one more day has gone by and he is a little bit older.  He is a little bit closer to growing up.  Sure these times with 3 kids under 5 are tough, crazy, exhilarating, exhausting, fun and all together NUTS, but they are going by way too fast and it's always my goal to squeeze everything out of these days.  Gabe has added a tremendous amount of joy to our home and family. Everyday I thank God for the little reminder He has given us to cherish these days and not just try to get through them.  But to be present in the moment.  To pay attention.  To really live and love eachother.

No comments:

Post a Comment